Creamy, comforting, a one pot protein meal with the goodness of quinoa, rice, and mixed lentils.
- medium pot / pressure cooker
In Your Kit
- Pouch 1 Khichdi Mix ( quinoa, rice, and mixed lentils )
- Pouch 2 Spice Blend
- Pouch 3 Ghee
From Your Pantry
- Water For Boiling
- Salt To Taste
- 1 Onion(optional)
- Dash of fresh lime
- Pour out the Khichdi mix in a bowl; wash the rice & lentil mix with water 2-3 times until the water is clear. After done, soak for 10 minutes.
- Heat a medium pot or pressure cooker with 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of ghee or oil.
- Add the contains of pouch 2 in the heated pan - let it sizzle for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 small chopped onion - sauté well into the onions become golden.
- Drain the rice and lentil mix and add it to the tempered onions.
- For a porridge like consistency add 4 cups of water. For a mushy texture add around 3 cups of water instead. Mix well, add salt to taste. Then give a good stir so any of the food stuck at bottom releases.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, cover, simmer for 15 mins, stir occasionally.
- Add more water if it begins to stick to the bottom or dry out. The consistency should be creamy and moist.
- Once soft and mushy, turn off the heat and let the khichdi set for 3 to 5 mins.
- Serve hot and garnish each bowl with a drizzle of ghee, fresh lime juice and sprinkle of fresh herbs.
- Add fresh chopped veggies of your choice to step 4.
- Refrigerate in glass container, and reheat with a splash of water as cold khichdi can get lumpy and dry, adjust consistency of water and boil to get back the creamy texture.